I am blessed with an ability to communicate with animals and to share it with those who are believers.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

African Elephant Meditation



It is hot and dry. The air is heavy with dust stirred up by the passing of many enormous feet. The dust cloud expands around us announcing our presence on the plain.
My view is blocked in all directions by the mountainous sides of my sisters, aunts, cousins. I am traveling in the protected center with my calf. We keep a slow but steady pace. His short legs struggle to keep up across the miles. When he lags behind, a nudge from his aunt’s trunk catches him up.
We pick up the pace as the scent of food pulls us forward. Soon we arrive in a green break across the brown plain. We stop for a much needed rest and feed.
I rip up huge mouthfuls and feed myself and I encourage my calf to nurse as we will soon be moving again.
After too short a time, we start out onto the plain, the dust cloud enveloping us once again.
My calf is bouncy and playful, his rest and feed have given him bravery as well as energy. He runs up behind a young bull and tries to tug his tail. The young bull is offended and gives a swift but gentle kick to end the foolishness. Bereft of bravado and seeking comfort, my calf returns to my side reaching up to me with his trunk. I touch his side offering reassurance and we keep moving.
The most tantalizing scent crosses our path and we turn as one to follow it. Soon we arrive at a watering hole. We take turns drinking, spraying, then sliding down delightful muddy banks to sit and bathe in the wonderful cool water.
I drink my fill and playfully douse my calf to his utter delight.
Too soon we must be on the move again.
Before long the setting sun signals us to stop for the night. The herd forms a circle around us and now my obstructed view is a comfort. My calf and I can rest without fear so surrounded by our relatives.
I pull my calf close to me using my trunk to carefully check for any injury or harm. Finding none I caress him contentedly slipping off to sleep. Rest my child as tomorrow brings more travel and more teachings.

Teachings from the African Elephant

It truly takes a herd to raise a child. Our duty as parents is to protect, teach and love our children. We must bear the burden of responsibility bravely, without complaint.


African Elephant Haiku

Acres of loose skin
Huge ears long prehensile nose
Sentient as us

1 comment: